Once the painting is done and the decor is in place most of us are ready to tackle the re-hanging of our artwork or our new artwork. However many of us are at a loss when it comes to how to properly hang our art or photo’s. This week I thought we’d explore a few tips on getting the job done and hopefully coming out with the wholes in the wall that should actually be there and not more.
If you stick to this standard, you can create a harmony among all the pictures in your home, as they will always hang in relationship to one another from their centers, not their sides. Additionally, it helps solve the problem many people have, which is that they hang their pictures too high.
Step By Step:
1. Measure and lightly mark 57″ on the wall
2. Measure top of your picture to the middle (or take height and divide by 2)
3. Measure top of your picture to the tightened wire (a small amount)
4. Subtract this last amount to tell you how far above 57″ your hook should go
5. Measure up from 57″ with this last amount and lightly mark on the wall
1. Picture is 20″ tall
2. Middle is 10″ down from top (this should rest at 57″)
3. Wire comes to 2″ below the top
4. 10″ – 2″ = 8″
5. Lightly mark 8″ above your first mark OR 65″ on the wall
Reading it through may be slight confusing, however taking it step by step it will all make sense. The thing to always remember is that the CENTER of all your pictures are hanging at the same 57″, and you are just figuring out where the hook goes above it.
This 57″ also applies to groups of pictures. Think of a group as ONE picture. After you arrange how you want them all to hang (doing this on the floor makes it easier), start with the center picture/pictures and get them at 57″ on center. Then surround them with the rest of the group.
A few points of caution…
- Take care when drilling or hammering nails into the wall. There may be electrical wires or plumbing in the wall that could cause damage to the structure, personal injury or death.
- Keep the artwork out of the way when measuring and drilling. You often don’t have to unwrap the artwork until you are ready to hang the piece.
- In principle, these instructions can be used to hang any size and weight of artwork, but make sure your fixing implements are strong enough to hold the weight of the piece.
- Make sure the wall can support what is to be hung.
Things you’ll need…
- Tape Measure
- Pencil & eraser
- Drill (or Hammer)
- Drill bits
- Screw driver
- Screws (or Nails) or picture hooks
Hopefully this quick explanation gets you on your way to the finishing touches of your newly decorated space!