Can I first start by saying I DO… Where is time going these days? Life is flying by and I feel that with each day more gets piled on our plates and the expectations of our family, work and the home becomes greater and greater. I thought this week we’d look at some simple Time Management skill that will perhaps give us more time with our family or to take on that home decor project we’ve been wanting to tackle.
If you’re working from home with the little ones or a stay at home mom/dad then here are a few tricks:
- Create a designated area for work and play. Working from the dinning room table can be distracting if you have children’s toys or media in the area. Find a place in your home to create a work space. It could be as simple as a small corner in your kitchen or bedroom. Perhaps you have a room not in use… perhaps it’s a catch all for laundry and other household needs. Think outside the box and you’ll come up with a great solution.
- Using productivity apps has been known to make the world of difference these days. iPhone or Android… most phones today have great apps to choose from. Appointments, deadlines, school activities can all go into your calendar. Here are a few suggestions on apps to help you organize your life:
- Awesome Note- organizes all your to do’s and appointments. Colour codes, labels and all…
- Milebug- Great way to track mileage, parking & tolls
- Time Log- Managing clients? Exactly what you’re looking for.
- A Personal Assistant- This app will access and manage all your online accounts in one place.
- Dragon Dictation- This app converts your voice into text. You can use your voice to send emails, write a text, tweet and even leave yourself notes.
- Establish a schedule. This will help outline school times, pick ups and drop offs, meals, errands, work and even nap time.
- Figuring out when your feel most productive is important. Do you get your burst of energy first thing… is it late afternoon or mid morning? Schedule your most important activities/appointments of the day during ‘your peek’ period.
- Timer anyone? When you sit down to tackle your task set the timer. (Be sure to turn off Facebook, Twitter & Email so you can concentrate.) Give yourself 15-20 mins or 30 if it’s what you need for the specific task. Once you’re done… cross it off your list.
- Identify your daily time wasters. The key is when you’ve established them can you eliminate them?
- Reward yourself! There’s so much to do in todays modern world… work, family, home & day to day life. From time to time you need to stop, take a step back and take some time for you. Even do something for yourself… this will help to remind you that you are important and you deserve some attention too.
Hopefully some of these tips will help you in managing your day to day life, and the juggling act that so many of us take on. All the best and good luck!